Every person is born into a family, and all of us are stronger when we have the support and love of a family, be it a family of birth, a family of choice, and/or a community of people bonded by a commitment of love to be family to each other.
The Focus on Prevention Initiative is building a movement to strengthen Stanislaus County families, and the neighborhoods and communities, schools and businesses, and other institutions that help them thrive. This movement emerged from a passion among leaders to support our county’s families, and a deep concern about how many of our children are growing up without the active support and engagement of their fathers and other loving adults.
The Stewardship Council has developed the overarching results areas for the Focus on Prevention Initiative. Unlike a business, where everyone understands that success is measured by profit and shareholder value, one of the first tasks of this movement is to clarify what success means, and how we will measure it.
This movement is driven to achieve and sustain four results our families and communities:
- Our families are healthy—physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Our families are supported by strong and safe neighborhoods and communities.
- Our children and young people are getting a first-rate education—from cradle to career.
- Our families are participating in and supported by a healthy economy.
Stewardship Council members will choose priority indicators and data sources to measure progress toward these results, and develop a reporting process so that residents across the county can assess how we are doing year in and year out. Once these draft results and indicators are developed, Stewardship Council members will lead dialogues with sector leaders and residents to solicit feedback and suggestions, and to build shared commitment to effect these results through sustained action across multiple sectors and communities.
Planning Information & Resources
- Strengthening Families Strategic Planning Session, November 2016
- Strengthening Families Draft Indicators
- Initial Data on Incarcerated Individuals and Their Families